Latina was founded in 1932 in the heart of the Pontina Plain, as a country town of the fascist regime, and became chief town of the province in 1934 called Littoria, which remained its name until 1945. The main reason for the town was the mass immigration of farmers from the Veneto and Emilia Romagna regions, who were given the estates that had been built by the National Fighters Association, which were spread around the reclaimed marshes. Therefore, today, Latina is home of several different habits, customs and languages typical of the areas the people came from, mixed with the roman dialect which is obviously the most prominent. Born as a mainly agricultural town, Latina gradually changed and is now the seat of numerous different types of industry, from food, furniture, glass through to building materials.
The city and its monuments
There is a lot to visit in the town, all with a clearly Fascist imprint. Beginning from Piazza del Popolo, the centre of the ancient Littoria, with the Municipal Building with the high civic Tower in medieval style; Piazza del Quadrato, with the fountain in the centre and tuff statues; Piazza della Libertà with the Government Palazzo now the Prefecture and the attractive Public Park. Among the religious monuments, St. Marks Cathedral stands out with a beautiful façade and tuff porch, which overlooks Piazza del Popolo. Palazzo M, built in tribute to the "Duce" Mussolini, is a typical example of fascist architecture, like Palazzo del Fascio; Palazzo della Posta in Viale Italia, and the National Balilla building, perfectly symmetrical and rigorous style.
The geographical area
Around Latina we find Lake Fogliano in the National Circeo Park, the Latina Lidos of Capo Portiere and Foce Verde, resorts like Formia, Gaeta, Terracina and Aprilia. Gaeta, with its important natural port, was a military fort in the past and much contended and settled in by Romans, Longobards, Normans, Angevins, Aragons and Bourbons. The town grew around three main points: the medieval centre of SantErasmo, which developed around a castle, Porto Salvo outside the walls and the long beach at Serapo. The medieval district is the oldest in the town, and has houses dating back to the 12th and 15th centuries and here the history of the Ducal Gaeta and the Marine Republic unfolded. Formia is to the north of the Gulf of Gaeta and is a lively, smart seaside resort and at the time of ancient Rome it was a favourite holiday resort for the nobles; Cicerone often came here and had a villa built for himself and his family near to the sea. The history of Terracina dates way back, beginning with the Etruscans to reach us today.